When a person loses his or her life as the result of another person or organization’s negligence, carelessness, inaction or malpractice, it is considered a wrongful death. Although no amount of money could fill the void from the loss of a life, the family members or beneficiaries of the decedent are generally entitled to file a wrongful death lawsuit to receive compensation for their loss. Some examples of wrongful death claims for which compensation could be sought include; auto accidents, drunk driving accidents, defective products, medical malpractice and workplace accidents.
Damages That Are Eligible
Damages that may be considered include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lost wages and future earnings
- Medical and funeral expenses
- Loss of insurance and/or benefits
- Loss of inheritance from an untimely death
- Pain and suffering before the person died
- Loss of companionship
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages
Who Can Be Held Accountable
Interestingly, both individuals and companies can be held accountable during wrongful death lawsuits. In fact, this type of legal action can be one of the only options available to families and loved ones of someone who was killed by the negligence or direct actions of a company.
The types of damages that may be recovered in a wrongful death suit vary from state to state so it is important that you contact a well qualified experienced Wrongful Death Lawyer in your area.
The Needed Criteria For a Legitimate Wrongful Death Suit
If you are unsure about the legitimacy of your claim, there are a few factors you can consider to help you make a decision. They are as follows:
- The death was caused by another individual’s or company’s negligence or will to harm
- There was indeed a fatality that has been properly documented
- The surviving members of the family are suffering (especially in a monetary sense)
- There has been a representative declared for the estate
We Can Help:
If you feel that a loved one was the victim of a wrongful death, we can find the perfect lawyer for you. I know how to find the BEST lawyers in all 50 states and Canada and will get you in contact with one. Please feel free to contact us online or call 1-800-603-6833. All consultations are free of charge and will be answered as soon as possible.